January 20, 2012

A Billion-Suns-Size Star


Do you remember how you were taught in your astronomy class that a million planets the size of our earth could fill our sun in the solar system? Well, scientists just discovered an even bigger star in our universe that dwarfs our sun - in fact, it is a billion-suns-size star! See the video below for more.


Think about this... the size of this newly-discovered star might stretch our minds but we will eventually get used to this notion. We know that the universe is always expanding, but we don’t think often about how big it really is. When we are confronted with something of an epic proportions, we can't help but ask, "Is there something greater and bigger out there waiting to be discovered?"


There are probably something out there waiting to be discovered, and that is why we are driven to explore and chart the unknown. But let me suggest something that might have an even greater significance to our lives that came to my mind while I watched this video: What would it be like to behold the greatness and glory of our God, the Creator of everything in the universe "visible and invisible" (Col. 1:16)?

It is probably foolish for me to even think about how to answer this question because the more I try to write about it, the more difficult it becomes. This question deals with something of an infinite nature and cannot be quantified or understood by humans. It is something that can only be described in part when it can only be experienced. But I will attempt to describe what it is like from my experience.

When I become aware of the greatness and glory of God during my prayer time, I am often surprised by the appearance of his Presence. I will begin to feel uncomfortably vulnerable and maybe become more vocal in my prayers and even shed some tears. Eventually, my heart will eventually reach a place where I am completely quiet and still because I begin to recognize that I enjoy being in God's loving Presence. It is precisely where God works in my life, bringing up things that might trouble me. He tenderly applies balm over the wounds of my heart and powerfully heals the old scars of my soul that might have reopened in my life. Sometimes the healing process can hurt a bit, especially when the wounds are fresh, but I know that the more I behold God, the more he will work in my heart as he continues to conforms me in the image and likeness of Christ (2 Cor. 3:18).

When was the last time you actually paused in the midst of your life, opened your heart to God, and allowed him to work in your life? Have you ever been surprised by how gently and powerfully God has touched your life? Do you believe that God, the Creator of the entire universe, is willing and able to re-create, renew, and transform your heart in the image and likeness of Christ?

No comments: