November 22, 2012

A Contagious Virus of Thankfulness

"Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing!

Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name!

For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.” (Psalm 100)

This day is one of my favorite holidays, hands down! I love this holiday not necessarily because I am able to be home with my family, I eat a ton of excellent home-made food that makes me probably the happiest man on earth, or I get to spend it with my family and friends whom I deeply love. Don’t get me wrong here – those reasons are important and why this day has become extra special for me since I don’t see my family and friends often any more.

I love this day because I know that millions of Christians in America are turning their gaze toward God – the Creator, Sustainer, and Redeemer of all things and also someone who deeply loves us. We Christians recognize that our heavenly Father, whom we affectionately call Abba, is also Jehovah Jireh – God our provider (Gen 22:14; Phil 4:19). He is the source of all our blessings that flows from above – physical and spiritual (Deuteronomy 17:11-13; Ephesians 1:3). He never allows his children – especially believers – go hungry, be in need, or even be naked (cf. Matthew 6:25-33). He is the one who preserves us in midst of all troubles and hardships (Psalm 23, 138). Moreover, he redeemed us while we were in midst of our darkest sins and hopeless state (cf. Rom 5:6-8).

In the light of who our heavenly Father is, may we while sitting in midst of our family and friends at the Thanksgiving table remember and give thanks the One who deserves all praise, glory, and honor from us. There are many reasons for each of us to be thankful about in this day and age. However, don’t let it stop today; may this grateful spirit permeate every fiber of your life and become a contagious virus for others to catch, especially in the light of God’s extravagant lovingkindness and astounding mercy (cf. Exodus 34:6-7)!

No comments: