February 18, 2012

February Prayer Update

My first semester is well underway, and I find myself in a familiar place once again: buried in my books. Since I am taking Old Testament (OT) Theology and New Testament (NT) Theology classes in addition to Greek Syntax and Translation and Reformation History and Doctrine this semester, I have to read every book of the Bible from Genesis to Revelations (66 books in 15 weeks is not a bad thing but is not a small feat!), in addition to new paradigms and verb tenses for Greek. Things are getting a lot harder (who said it would get easier?!), but rest assured: I am still loving seminary and the mild weather in the South! :)

I thought I would update y’all about two things: 1) what I have been thankful about over the past month and 2) how you can continue to pray for me in the near future.

Praises

  • For God’s faithfulness and providence. Whenever I am faced with various challenges during seminary, God has always proved to be faithful to me. I am especially thankful that God has continued to give me the strength and perseverance I need to do my best thus far, and that he has met all of my needs to live here in Alabama so far.
  • For a wonderful faith family at Beeson. One of many reasons I love Beeson is the great community of faith that it fosters. Everyone know each other on a first-name basis, and our professors care deeply about their students and will take time to meet, listen, and pray for seminarians if any needs arises through the semester. I have talked with some professors who came from other seminaries, and they repeatedly affirm that this is what sets Beeson apart from other divinity schools. Moreover, I have been developing some wonderful friendships with my seminary colleagues that I pray will continue for many years. I am always reminded here that the kingdom of God is a lot bigger, composed of people from different racial, socio-economic and political backgrounds unified by a common faith and single baptism in Christ Jesus (cf. Eph 4:5). Even better, I will be spending an eternity with those very people I’m meeting right now (assuming that each one of them are walking on the narrow path).
  • For an opportunity to serve a deaf widow and a family seeking to adopt an orphan from China. I talked about this in this blog post, and I am happy to report that this project went well (although the weather was almost bitterly cold, which is unusual!). I was able to meet several awesome people from Angie’s church and around Birmingham, and talking a bit with Bernice herself about her life was a great blessing for me that day. We were not able to finish everything that day (for one, the weather was too cold to finish painting the sidings outside of the house), but the Williamson family are planning to set up a day in the near future when it is warm enough to paint the siding of the house. We also appeared in two news stories! (Go to the following link to see a nicely-done CBS 42 news story about this project: http://www.cbs42.com/content/localnews/story/A-Local-Woman-Receives-Home-Repair/C9wqtB-_ekmdLEhvxnSyOg.cspx)

Prayers

  • For humility during my studies at Beeson. I have learnt so much about God, faith, and theology over the past year, and I have also faced with the temptation to pursue my studies for the sake of knowledge alone. Thankfully, by God’s grace alone, I have been reminded by my professors and through my readings in Reformation History and Doctrine class that humility is the key ingredient when it comes to studying theology and how we can be effective communicators of God’s Word to people. If I am ever inflated with knowledge and pride while in seminary, I will cease to be a “living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” The dangerous idol of intellectualism and scholasticism would have usurped the place of the Triune God in my life. Please pray that my time here shall continue to be an pure and undefiled act of worship that is fitting and honorable to God (Rom 12:1), and that I may never fall to this particular temptation.
  • For me to manage my time effectively and continuing to do well in my classes. Soon, exams will come around and papers will need to be written and turned in. Moreover, Greek has proved to be difficult for me once again not because of new information but rather because I have Dr. Frank Theilman, which is a well-renown NT and Greek scholar across the nation. Please pray that God will help me to utilize my time wisely so that things can be done in a timely manner so that I can get enough sleep.
  • For me to be ready and willing to help the people whom I encounter that are in need. While I am thrilled to get the opportunity to serve a Deaf widow in Birmingham last weekend, it is easy for me to become busy and overwhelmed with my studies to the point where I forget about other people or even neglect to serve them, even in a small way. Please pray that as my semester progresses, I will become even more aware of people’s needs and continue to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s prompts.
  • For strength and perseverance. Like I indicated earlier on, this will be a harder semester for me, mainly due to the sheer volume of readings I have to complete. There will be moments when I am exhausted beyond belief and almost can’t get out of the bed in the mornings. I may even wonder how I can finish everything to meet my deadlines. What helps me during those moments is the knowledge that I am ultimately accountable with how I use my time in my studies to God and to you, my brothers and sisters in Christ who have encouraged, financially supported and prayed for me while I am here. Please pray that I may never forget this!
  • For Deaf Ministries in Birmingham and across the nation. There are several churches and ministries in Birmingham and across the nation that are facing trying times. Pastors are burnt out, churches have weak leaders and are divided over trivial manners, and there is a huge need for Deaf ministry across the nation. While this is nothing new “under the sun,” as the Prophet of Ecclesiastes would say, the fragmentation of churches and Christians, to name a few, are the work of Satan, “the father of lies” (Jn 8:44). whenever believers fall for whatever lies Satan implants in our heart, the Church’s manifold witness to the world diminishes. Pray that “the Lord of the harvest” will continue to raise up workers – especially those in Deaf ministry – to preach the good news and love others just as Christ loved his Church and gave Himself up for her sake (cf. Matt 9:38; Eph 5:25).

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: