May 30, 2012

Summer Prayer Update


Summertime has officially begun for me, and things are just starting to heat up in the Deep South! My first year of seminary is officially over, and I survived it! I even had the opportunity to show a piece of Birmingham to my sister who flew in town for a couple of days after my finals was done (see picture on the right taken at the Peanut Depot where they roast simply amazing peanuts). I just got back in town after a week-long vacation with my family in North Myrtle Beach, and my time with the family was a sweet one.

The Lord continues to astonish and amaze me with the work he is doing in my life, and I cannot imagine what my life would be like if I had not obeyed the calling that the Lord has given me in my life. Even more, I am falling deeper in love with God every day as I spend time in his Word and commune with him in my prayers. He continues to reveal the depth and breadth of his infinite love to me, and my heart rejoices that he took note of me in the midst of my helpless state, being utterly unworthy and undeserving of his abounding grace and steadfast mercy. He is still working in my mind and heart, transforming and conforming me into the likeness of his Son, Jesus Christ (Rom 8:29), but I would not trade anything in the world for the journey that the Lord has set me upon!

Here are some highlights I want to share with you over the next few months so that you can continue to pray for me:

Summer class, plus a trip to Turkey (June 22 - July 6): I am getting excited about going to Turkey with about 10 other colleagues from Samford. It is hard to believe that little less than one month remains until I will be flying to Istanbul! I am also taking a class through summertime that goes along with the trip. I will be studying the doctrine of Islam and the Iranian culture (a lot of Iranians emigrate to Istanbul, Turkey), and write a paper integrating what I have read in my books and my trip. Please pray that God will use this classes and mission trip to help me to be more effective as an minister of his Word and be more sensitive about cross-cultural issues, especially toward the Deaf.

(In case you were wondering, the books I am reading for this trip are as follows: Cross-Cultural Connections: Stepping Out and Fitting In Around the World by Duane Elmer; The Soul of Iran: A Nation's Journey to Freedom by Afshin Molavi; Answering Islam: The Crescent in Light of the Cross by Norman L. Geisler and Abdul Saleeb; and Turkey (Culture Shock! A Survival Guide to Customs & Etiquette) by Arin Bayraktaroglu and Arn Bayraktaroglu).

Possible church visits/trips: My ministry practicum (a.k.a. internships) as a part of my graduation requirement will begin next summer, and I will have three internship experiences working for other churches or ministries. I need to start thinking and planning for that this year, and I have a few churches in mind in the Southeastern region. Please pray for wisdom and guidance in this aspect of my life.

Upcoming Preaching Opportunities:
  • Faith Baptist Deaf Mission Church: I was invited to preach at Faith Baptist Deaf Mission Church on June 10th while its pastor attends a Baptist convention in Kentucky that weekend. I am looking forward to sharing with its congregation what the Lord has placed in my heart, but I need your prayers as I prepare myself for the message. If you happen to be in the area, you are more than welcome to come!
  • The Deaf Church at Brook Hills: The church has asked me to preach once a month through the summer months and possibly for the rest of the year, but the dates have not been finalized yet. Once I know what they are, I will be sure to let you know but please begin to pray about this for me.
  • Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church: For those who live in Maryland and the tri-state area: I will be preaching on August 19th at Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, and I am excited about that as well! There will also be a spaghetti dinner fundraiser on the 18th (Saturday) to help me offset my seminary education and living expenses. This has allowed me to not have to get a full-time job and focus most of my time with my studies. Keep your eyes peeled for further details!
Maryland Vacation: I will be visiting home some this summer too from August 10-20 to spend some time with my family (and my beloved Bedlington Terrier) and reconnect with my friends and brothers/sisters in Christ. I am also looking forward to going to Frederick Church of the Brethren Deaf Fellowship’s service on August 12th. This is what I would call my “home church” where Christ came into my life and the early part of my spiritual formation took place with Pastor Myers as my mentor through high school. So folks: if you are available that week and want to meet up with me, please let me know so that I will be sure to make time for you!

Reference Librarian Assistant: The Lord continues to be faithful and provides for my needs while I am here because I just got a part-time job earlier this month at Samford University’s Harwell Goodwin Davis Library (see picture on the left) as a Reference Librarian Assistant. I will be starting in early August before the Fall semester begins again, and I am excited about this!
Now that the pool is officially open at my apartment complex, I think I will spend a part of my afternoon today on the pool deck along with a good book, especially since it is a hot day today! And thankfully the A/C unit is fixed in my apartment… that is one thing that you cannot live without around here!

Thank you for your continued prayers, support, and occasional letters and packages that I have enjoyed over the past year, especially during the final exam weeks!

No comments: