November 17, 2012

Fall Prayer Update

Rest assured: I am still alive, and I know it has been a while since my last update. Since this is the first day of my thanksgiving break, I think it is probably time for me to let you know how things have been over the past few months.

School continues to go well, and only three weeks remains until my finals commence! It has been a challenging semester for me since I’m taking 14 credit hours with five classes (this is one of the reasons why I’ve not been able to write as much as I would like to). But I’m loving every classes I’m taking this semester! For those who are wondering which classes I am taking, here they are:
  • Greek Exegesis and Practicum (translating and studying the letter of Ephesians)
  • Evangelism and Church Growth
  • C.S. Lewis (taught by Dr. Dorsett, a professor who used to work at Wheaton College’s Marion E. Wade Center and interviewed several people who personally knew C.S. Lewis – see Dr. Dorsett's profile here)
  • Pastoral Counseling
  • Modern History and Doctrine (post-Reformation to the end of 19th century)
Without further ado, I want to share with you what I am thankful for and how you can pray for me over the next few weeks.
Praises:
  1. God’s amazing Providence. God continues to provide for all of my physical, financial, and emotional needs, often in unexpected ways! I am extremely thankful for several churches who have financially supported me over the years and even eliminated the financial burden for my seminary education. God’s continued grace and mercy shown through his gracious provisions continues to motivate to excel in my studies so that I may be fully prepared for ministry in the future.
  2. New Small Group. There has been no small groups in existence for Deaf and Hard of Hearing young adults in the Birmingham area, and several young adults have expressed interest about getting together on a regular basis. As a result, Koinonia Deaf Fellowship – Birmingham (KDF) (like us on Facebook!) gathered for the first time in October, and about five young adults have been meeting bi-monthly for Bible studies, prayer, fellowship, and meals. This is the first time for many of our group members to experience what it means to live within a community where we are committed toward the edification and building up of one another. It has been incredibly encouraging for me to witness and I look forward to seeing how God will use this in the future!
  3. Continued strengthening of relationships with my seminary colleagues. My relationships with colleagues at Beeson Divinity School continues to grow and strengthen at Beeson Divinity School, and I am extremely thankful for that. There are innumerable benefits for an in-the-flesh seminary education for ministerial leaders. Mark Rogers wrote an excellent article from the Gospel Coalition about this, and I think you will enjoy reading this informative piece.
Several people at Beeson Divinity School have approached me, expressing a strong desire to learn American Sign Language (ASL). We have been meeting on Fridays at 11:00 am every week to learn the rudiments of ASL and how to articulate simple conversational phrases. I am thankful that several people at Beeson are eager to learn this beautiful language and recognize that it can be useful for reaching out to the Deaf and Hard of Hearing people. Even more, I am especially thankful for new friendships and relationships that have been developed and flourished as a result of this group.
Prayers:
  1. Deaf ministry in Birmingham. I write this prayer request with an especially heavy heart. One of the biggest things I’ve learned while in seminary is how rich and useful the Word of God is for instructing, exhorting, and edifying Christians all over the world. It grieves me to see that there is an acute poverty for the Word of God not only in Birmingham but also in this state – especially within the local Deaf churches. Many Deaf people are nominal Christians, and church leaders are struggling with finding qualified leaders or pastors to serve within the church. Youth ministry in this state, especially at Alabama School for the Deaf, is suffering from the lack of youth leaders as well. KDF was started as a response to this problem, but there remains much work and continued prayers are needed from you. I pray that the few men and women who are meeting in our group will recognize the call of our Lord to become more intentional about sharing the gospel and raising up disciples committed to serving the Lord and his church.
  2. Spiritual growth among young adults in KDF.
  3. Bruce finishing his semester well. By this point with only few weeks of classes remaining, it is when things get really busy with my classes. Please pray that the Lord will provide me the strength I need to do my best with my papers and assignments before I take my final exams from December 7th through 13th.
  4. Growing persecution among Christians in Central Asia. I have been in touch with some friends in central Asia, and they need your prayers. The Kingdom of God has been advancing against the gates of the hell in that region of the world, but many believers – Deaf and hearing – are experiencing increasing persecution among Muslims. Please keep the persecuted church across the world, especially in Central Asia, in your prayers. Also, pray that the Lord will call laborers to serve in the mission field in this region.
  5. Safe travels over the holidays. Attention, Maryland folks: I’m coming in town in a few days to be with my family during Thanksgiving. I am super excited to see my family and friends once again while I’m home for six days beginning this Tuesday – there is simply nothing like coming back to where I grew up and rekindling old friendships. I will also be driving home after my Fall semester conclude to be with my family over Christmas. Please keep me in your prayers while I travel during the holiday season.

No comments: