January 21, 2014

10 Best Places in Alabama

Alabama's State Flag
I am a Yankee boy, and I have a confession: I still love the North and nothing will change it! Since that was the case, my perception on the South – especially the Deep South – consisted of fried chicken, grits loaded with butter and cheese, Confederate flags flying everywhere, and hoards of rednecks driving beat-up pick-up trucks covered with Confederate flags and hunting stickers. Oh, you can't forget its state sport too: college football!


But ever since I moved to Alabama - nicknamed "The Heart of Dixie" - I learned that Alabama is truly the gem of the South. How come? Just take a look at an article titled, “10 Best Places in Alabama,” complied by Natalie Grigson of Movoto Blog! What caught my attention is the number of top ten cities not being far away from where I live (notably Pelham, Mountain Brook, and Alabaster)! Although Vestavia Hills and Homewood (where I currently live) are ranked 17th and 18th respectively on this list, Mountain Brook is also literally next door to these cities! There is also a botanical garden, a zoo, great running paths, cool stores, and awesome restaurants located in Mountain Brook. It sure is nice being close to several “best places/cities” located in the surrounding area of Birmingham, Alabama!

Do you agree with the list complied by Natalie? For the residents of Alabama: what is your favorite city, and why?


(Please pardon the oversized slideshow frame - I study Greek and Hebrew for a living, not a computer language.)

No comments: