June 25, 2012

Farsi Language Learning

Some of the guys in our group got together for a practice session of Farsi late (really) last night. We were able to learn about 15 words and a few basic verb phrases. And let me say this: learning a spoken language is hard, especially for a deaf person who can't speak every English word correctly. While it is helpful to know how to say a few useful words that Turkish people use, it is hard to remember how to say it.

Here are some of the words that Turkish people use (English words are in parenthesis):
- Merhaba (Hello)
- Evet (Yes)
- Hayir (No)
- Iyi gunler (Good day)
- Iyi (Good night)
- Nasilsiniz (How are you?)
- Tesekkurler (Thank you)
- Imdat! (Help!)

There are a few words that I do not know the exact spelling for, but I do know how to say:
- Man
- Woman
- Boy
- Girl
- Baby
- Pronouns: Me/you (singluar)/him, her, she, he/we/you (plural)/them
- Horse
- Cow
- Dog
- Cat
- Mouse (we find it amusing that this sounds like mush...)
- Bird
- Verbs: I stand, sit, walk, run, lay down
- Imperative: Stop!

I think I prefer to pronounce the english words a lot better than the Turkish words. But I wanted to learn some Farsi language so that Turkish people feel appreciated that an American is attempting to relate with them in their native language. However, I am thankful that most of people here understand English and that I have an interpreter along with me!

No comments: